Otto-Wagner Hospital, Vienna, Austria
The new foundation of the Otto-Wagner Hospital constitutes a consolidation of five former independent facilities of the Viennese health sector. It is located in an art nouveau complex dating from 1907 built by Otto Wagner. Several pavilions with different medical disciplines and functions form the new hospital.
Ernst Beneder and Anja Fischer were commissioned with the reconstruction of pavilions 3, 5 and 11 housing the Neurological Centre. The integration of a high-tech hospital into a building classified as a historical monument had to be achieved. Fortunately the old structure proved to be very adaptable and allowed freedom in the interior design. All three pavilions have the same composition: therapy facilities are located in the basement, the health care centre and patient rooms on the ground and first floor and medical staff meeting rooms on the top floor.
Patient rooms were designed in a generous way so that every patient has the possibility to look out of the window and enjoy the green space. Every bed has its assigned space allowing more mobility and privacy when receiving visitors. LAUFEN’s sanitary ware which is installed in the washrooms was especially developed for special needs.
Patients, medical staff and architecture all profit from the successful reconstruction.
Ernst Beneder, Anja Fischer
rehab washbasins; LAUFEN pro toilets; caprino plus urinals